Ever dreamed of having a secluded island all to yourself? Well, that dream can come true with a holiday at the unique Direction Island, a sun-drenched sandy jewel nestled within its own coral reef just 11 kilometres off WA’s stunning Pilbara coast.
Located in the spectacular waters of the Mackerel Islands group, Direction Island offers a very different holiday experience for up to 6 persons. Direction Island offers a perfect base to explore and enjoy the amazing natural wonders of the surrounding waters, whether your interests are diving, fishing or just simply taking in the scenery.
Snorkellers will discover an incredible and virtually untouched underwater playground, full of brilliantly coloured corals that are home to countless species of fish. Rock lobster also abound and many of the fish that have never encountered humans before, offering a truly memorable diving experience.
Not surprisingly, anglers will think they are in piscatorial heaven, with an incredible range of sport and game fishing on offer for prized species like spanish mackerel, cobia, sailfish and even marlin not too far from the island. Fishers looking for a feed will find plenty of options too, with popular targets like coral trout and red emperor widespread around the islands.
But there is much more than just fish to the waters around Direction Island, with breaching whales often putting on spectacular shows as they migrate. Turtles use the beaches for nesting, sea snakes sun themselves on the surface, and watchful osprey cruise the skies looking for their next feed.
If you’ve had enough diving, fishing and beach combing, then just simply sit back and relax, maybe have a quick dip off your private sandy beach or enjoy one of the famous West Australian sunsets.
Accessible by charter boat or private vessel, accommodation is a fully self-contained A-frame beach cabin that is the only man-made structure on your own little piece of paradise. Direction Island must surely be one of Australia’s best-kept secrets!
BOOK NOW with the Mackerel Islands Reservation Team on (08) 9184 6444, or firstname.lastname@example.org
The Beach Cabin
The A frame beach cabin on Direction Island offers a unique island escape that few get to experience. Although the comfortable cabin isn’t air-conditioned it is well ventilated and has ceiling fans in each of the rooms. Direction Island’s facilities cater for ocean and outdoor lovers looking for a unique, outback gem. Not many ever get to experience a real life crusoe’s adventure with a few home comforts thrown in!
Main living Area
- Fully contained kitchen & dining area including baking dishes, pots, pans and utensils, gas oven with 4 hobs, a full size solar fridge / freezer, as well as a separate deep freezer.
- Dining table and chairs for up to 6 persons.
- A cleaning kit is provided including dishwashing liquid, chux cloths, spray and wipe and bathroom cleaning materials. A vacuum, mop & bucket and brooms are also supplied.
- 2 power points for small items such as phone and laptop chargers, ipod docking station etc.
- Two good size bedrooms with high ceilings. Bedroom 1 = 1 double bed, Bedroom 2 = 3 single beds. There is a single foldaway bed and a single futon sofa in the main living area.
- Rustic raised balcony with panoramic sunrise views to Onslow and Sunset views over Thevenard Island.
- A Webber family Q BBQ and outside table and chairs for 6 persons. These are stored inside the cabin when you arrive.
- The renovated outside bathroom to the rear of the cabin includes a wc, shower and wash basin. Shower water is brackish, while the wash basin has fresh water available to it.
- The whole cabin is supplied with fresh water that is safe to drink.
- Solar with backup generator.
There is a lock up yard in Onslow available to guests of Direction and Thevenard Island for storage of their cars and trailers. Booking is required when booking accommodation at Direction or Thevenard Island with the Islands reservation team. This is available at $5 per car and $5 per trailer per day. The staff at the Ashburton Resort Motel will assist you in storing your cars and trailers on arrival in Onslow.
Boat Mooring at the Island
A mooring is available for guests staying at Direction Island. The mooring is recommended for vessels no larger than 6m in length.
Boat Transfers via Onslow
Boat transfers to and from Onslow to Direction Island run upon request and cost $90 for Adults and $60 for children and Infants (0 – 14 yrs) return. Boat transfers usually operate on Sunday’s and Thursday’s but can be arranged on alternative days for groups of 4 or more persons.
Full 2014 booking details are available from our Island reservation team at email@example.com